Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Learning, learning, learning

I just finished reading "Creating Characters with Personality" by Tom Bancroft.  The drawing style is very different from my own, but I learned new things from this book. A brilliant feature is the six guest illustrators, including Peter de Seve and Jack Davis, who all used the same written instructions to create a character.

I'm now reading "The Animators Survival Kit" by Richard Williams. Who knew how much thought went into animating a character walking? Not me. This book definitely lives up to its good reviews.


I also just started reading "Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation" by Francis Glebas.  I have high hopes for this one too.  All three of these books include a lot of very helpful illustrations.

I'm also reading (and doing) "Adobe Flash Pro CS6 Classroom in a Book" to learn how to create images for the iPad that move. I'm looking forward to the animation tutorials, but one step at a time.


Each Flash tutorial is supposed to take around 60-90 minutes. They end up taking me a lot longer because I start experimenting, pushing buttons to see what happens, creating my own versions, etc.

One experiment became a slide show of my work, which is now on the homepage of my site.  Take a peek! http://www.phylliscahill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment